Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Basement



Authors Note: This is a short demented little irony I wrote for the district assessment, its a little weird but, I think it's pretty good

Mommy was disappointed when  the owner told her about the hyenas. I looked up at the house, it's royal paint scheme contrasting with the surrounding woods, with smoke rising merrily into the dark sky, it looked inviting compared to the gloomy fall day. Mommy and Daddy talked for a second, then said "We'll take it, it's a good deal."

Over the next week, with much hard work, we moved into the house. Mommy warned me not to go into the basement because it was a big and scary and no place for me. She said that I shouldn’t even look through when they opened the door. Daddy, agreeing with her, told me that we were going on a big shopping spree to make the house look however I wanted.

The next day the house was shades of bright blue and pink paint splattered all over the old finely patterned wallpaper. The carefully embroidered carpet and rugs were ripped and broken. With Mommy and Daddy laughing as I splattered paint over the walls of the kitchen I attacked the fine drapes of the windows in happiness tearing them up and yelling, laughing, screaming. I tore and painted every fine part of the house until all that was left was neon blue and torn cloth.

The thing that scared me about the house was the door to the basement, old and beaten with rusty hinges that creaked and groaned every time Mommy and Daddy opened it. The door never took paint; it would only runoff into an undignified puddle on the ground. So Mommy and Daddy had the frame painted with as much paint as it could take, so it wouldn’t scare me so much. The door looked as if it had been there for one hundred years and it would remain there one hundred more. 

One day I heard a loud grinding noise coming from the basement door. I tiptoed over to see what it was, It was a… a thing, rippling with muscle that moved as if it had a life separate from its owner, eyes as red as blood, a bald ugly head, and a growl filled with malice I screamed for Daddy at the top of my lungs,

He came racing down the stairs gun in hand. Turning the corner he shot the thing he shot it again and again and again the grabbed the body and threw it out the window. turning to me he said “It’s ok it’s ok there was no monster, it’s ok not one monster left that basement.”

            I remember this as I stare at the basement door turning my favorite yo-yo over in my hands. I turn it and turn and I remember how that fake thing had scared me and drop it. It rolls, disappearing under the basement door, down the stairs. I scream, but Daddy says no. I push him, I open the door, and I grab the yo-yo. My sleeve gets caught - and I fall…and fall…and fall until I hit the ground.  Then eyes open, nasty eyes, evil eyes, eyes bigger than I remember - and I scream

2 comments:

  1. Nice piece. I thought you described the scenes very well, especially the renovating of the house. I also liked the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I have no idea what I just read. That had a lovely architectural description however you did not say whether the child narrating was a boy or a girl. I wonder, did you do that on purpose? I have a feeling the creature is some sort of family secret the narrator's parents have had for a long time, such as perhaps they are part of a mafia and the beast was in fact the mafia having an interrogation in the parents' basement. That would mean when the child saw what they were doing (perhaps killing a victim who owed them money...?) and that is what killed the kid. I know I'm probably way off, but I think I like my theory.

    ReplyDelete